For the past little while we've been running old Hot Bike and Street Chopper covers on their respective Facebook pages. I thought it might be fun to do that here on our website, only with the addition of highlights from what else was happening in the world at that time. Let us know what you think.
- Three-time Formula One world champion Ayrton Senna is killed in an accident during the San Marino Grand Prix in Imola, Italy.
- The Channel Tunnel, which took 15,000 workers over 7 years to complete, opens between England and France, enabling passengers to travel between the two countries in 35 minutes.
Nelson Mandela is inaugurated as South Africa's first black president.
Illinois executes serial killer John Wayne Gacy by lethal injection for the murder of 33 young men and boys between 1972 and 1978.
- Ice hockey becomes Canada's official winter sport.
- Malawi holds its first multiparty elections.
- After a funeral in Cluny Parish Church, Edinburgh attended by 900 people and after which 3,000 people lined the streets, John Smith is buried in a private family funeral on the island of Iona, at the sacred burial ground of Reilig Odhráin, which contains the graves of several Scottish kings as well as monarchs of Ireland, Norway and France.
- Italian former minister and Christian Democrat leader Giulio Andreotti is accused of Mafia allegiance by the court of Palermo.
- Pope John Paul II issues the Apostolic Letter Ordinatio Sacerdotalis from the Vatican, expounding the Catholic Church's position requiring "the reservation of priestly ordination to men alone."